Financial Assistance

The Canadian Government have implemented a lifetime loan agreement that will cover you throughout the entire duration that you are in full-time post-secondary studies. This lifetime loan agreement is called the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA).

4 Steps to Get Your OSAP Funding


Step 1 – Submit your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)

After you submit your online application as a full-time student, print your MSFAA or ask the ministry to mail it to you. If you applied for Provincials Specific Loan using a paper application, your MSFAA will automatically be mailed to you. Read the terms and conditions, then complete and sign your MSFAA.

Take your MSFAA to a designated Canada Post Office right away. You must present the following two pieces of documentation to prove your identity:

1. Proof of your Social Insurance Number (SIN): Your SIN card (a legible photocopy is acceptable) or, an official Government of Canada document that contains your Social Insurance Number (e.g. Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment, Canada Pension Plan Statement or Contribution, or Confirmation of Social Insurance Number from Service Canada)

2. One piece of valid photo I.D. issued in Canada by the federal, provincial, or territorial government (a legible photocopy of the front and back is acceptable). Examples of acceptable I.D.: Canadian passport, permanent resident or citizenship card, valid driver’s license or provincial health card. Student cards are not acceptable forms of I.D.


Step 2 – Submit All Required Provincial Specific Loan Application Documents

All required documents listed at the end of your online application must be submitted to your financial aid office before any funding can be disbursed to you. For your personalized list of required documents, log onto your account on the website and click on “View Application Details”.


Step 3 – School Must Confirm Your Enrolment

Your school must confirm your enrolment before your funding can be distributed to you and this confirmation must happen at the start of your studies (e.g. September), then again halfway through your study period (e.g. January).


Step 4 – Confirm Your Income

You must confirm your income before the release of your second disbursement, which is generally halfway through your study period. Instructions will be sent to you about a month before your second disbursement.

Once confirmation of registration has been placed, your funds are deposited directly into your account. You will receive 60% of your loan money when you start class and the remaining 40% halfway through your study period.